Some of us don’t have the option to go sock-less when the weather heats up. We HAVE to wear compression socks or stockings all year long. So, what are the best options for staying cool and comfortable in compression socks during the summer months? We think fabric choice is the most important decision in selecting summer compression socks and stockings. Here’s what we suggest if you’re looking for opaque, breathable socks and stockings for summer:
1. Cotton is a natural fiber that’s ideal for hot months. It lets air in and quickly wicks away any moisture on your skin. It’s also perfect for anyone who has sensitive skin. A few cotton options to explore:
- Sigvaris Sea Island Cotton socks for Men and Women – This is one of Sigvaris’ newest socks, great for spring and summer because it’s made with a soft, breathable cotton. Available in 15-20 mmHg and 20-30 mmHg.
- Allegro Premium Italian Cotton Socks. These socks are made of luxurious Italian cotton – imported just for your summer sock needs! Also available in 20-25 mmHg and with an open toe (for your flip flops!)
2. Microfiber is another great summer fabric for socks. It’s soft, stretchy and breathable. It also wicks away your summer sweat quickly. Some people will choose microfiber over cotton because it’s a thinner fabric, which can be better for dress shoes.
- The Allegro Microfiber collection includes socks, thigh highs and pantyhose to meet all your compression needs. Compression levels include 8-15, 15-20 and 20-30 mmHg
- Sigvaris Midtown Microfiber for Men is a collection of men’s knee high socks in 15-20, 20-30 and 30-40 mmHg
- Sigvaris Soft Opaque for Women is a line of stylish compression wear that comes in a wide variety of colors. It features an advanced moisture management system that keeps legs cool and dry.
3. Silver and Copper infused fabrics are another great addition to your summer wardrobe. Silver and copper will eliminate any dangers of stinky, sweaty summer feet because it kills the bacteria around your feet. Additionally, the fibers in these socks have thermodynamic properties, so you will stay cooler in the summer.
- Juzo Silver Socks are the best of the best. Socks are available in anklets, crew length, knee highs, and thigh highs. Compression options range from zero to 30-40 mmHg.
- Solidea Silver Wave Products are all infused with bacteria killing silver! Check out the knee highs, anklets and calf sleeves. They’re also very stylish and contain a unique 3D micro massage fabric.
- Allegro Athletic Copper Support Socks has copper embedded in the foot bed and are great for summer runs.
4. New materials! The compression experts have been creating their own technologies and materials to keep you cool. Check out these additional, moisture-wicking and skin-cooling fabric options:
- Mediven Comfort for Women: Medi’s patented Climafresh and Clima-Comfort systems allow for high breathability, reliable temperature control and the prevention of odor formation.
- Therafirm Ease: Made of high stretch, moisture wicking CoolMax fibers to provide all-day dry, comfortable coolness. Available in knee high, thigh high, and pantyhose. This line is also available with open toes and an even thinner sheer fabric.
- Mediven Sheer and Soft: Available in 4 different compression levels and a wide variety of sizing, both male and female customers love this line of breathable sheers. A customer in Georgia said, “Living in the south, the summer is very hot and humid but I don’t like to go without hose to work. Compression hose are often uncomfortable hot on a humid day but these are terrific. I can’t say enough about the comfort.”
- Allegro Essential Sheers: Available in 3 compression levels, with many open toe and wide calf options, these stockings are a great affordable option for summer-time wear. Even our customers in Santa Fe are raving about them, “With it being summer, I wanted something I could still wear sandals with. These open-toe stockings are the answer! And they are sheer…I have had several people comment that they couldn’t even notice I was wearing them.”
What’s your favorite summer sock?